News from session meetings
These brief reports highlight some of the items from session meetings that may be of special interest to the congregation. Click on the underlined link to read paragraphs giving more details about each of the numbered items listed for that date’s meeting. The most RECENT session meeting is at the TOP of the list.
May 28, 2013 session meeting
1. Elders who are finishing their service on session were acknowledged. The session called a meeting of the congregation that will be held immediately following the worship service on June 16 to elect elders and deacons and to vote on the Pastor’s terms of call.
2. A reception to thank Kevin Boyle for his service to our congregation will be held after the worship service on June 2. Status of the search for a “Director of Student Ministries” was updated and interim plans to cover student ministries leadership were presented.
3. Status of “denominational issues” was updated.
4. Initial plans for the new program year were discussed (reading through the Bible together; Communications plans).
April 23, 2013 session meeting
1. Session met with Chaz Ruark (Executive Presbyter) and Steve Robertson (Assoc Pastor at Westminster, Minneapolis, who is Faith Church’s COM liaison).
2. Session voted 13-1-1 to send a letter to the presbytery to initiate the gracious separation process to enable Faith Church to leave the PC(USA) and join ECO.
3. Preliminary work was done on the budget for the fiscal year that begins July 1.
March 26, 2013 session meeting
1. There are numerous building repair and equipment replacement issues.
2. Regarding denominational issues, plans were made for showing the video to the congregation, sending a mailing, and for conducting a straw poll on April 14.
3. A budget of $630,000 was approved for the fiscal year beginning July 1, 2013.
February 26, 2013 session meeting
1. The lease with “Our Space” will be extended.
2. The session voted to join the ministry association The Fellowship of Presbyterians.
3. Work on denominational issues continues.
January 22, 2013 session meeting
1. Denominational Communications Team reported on progress.
2. Updates from Family Ministries were discussed.
January 10, 2013 special session meeting
1. A large, unexpected year-end financial gift was received.
2. Survey results are available.
3. Session voted to immediately join the Fellowship of Presbyterians and recommends to the congregation that Faith Presbyterian Church leave the PC(USA) and join ECO if there is adequate support of the congregation. After a communication process, the session will determine if the congregation is ready by April 15, 2013.
December 18, 2012 session meeting
1. Session and Board of Deacons met together.
2. Initial results of the congregational survey were reviewed.
3. Stewardship drive status was reviewed.
November 20, 2012 session meeting
1. Meeting with Executive Presbyter and COM liaison was held.
2. Beyond Us report was received.
3. Denominational issues were discussed.
October 23, 2012 session meeting
1. Opportunity to serve meals at Faith to ICA clients monthly.
2. Special worship services were approved.
3. Denominational issues work continues.
September 25, 2012 session meeting
1. Plans for the session day-retreat on Saturday, October 6 were finalized.
2. Active member roll was updated.
3. Various plans were reviewed.
August 28, 2012 session meeting
1. A group of young adults calling itself “Soma” will be meeting at Faith Church.
2. Various plans were reported or approved.
3. Bob Blakesley and Pastor Buck reported on the recent Fellowship of Presbyterians meeting.
July 25, 2012 session meeting
1. Chaz Ruark (Executive Presbyter) visited to discuss the session’s request to initiate a process to enable Rev. Buck Day to move from “Associate Pastor” to “Pastor” of Faith Church.
2. Status of denominational issues progress was reviewed.
3. Fiscal year-end financial report was distributed.
No session meeting was held in June 2012.
May 22, 2012 session meeting
1. Session approved the concept of a capital fund drive for building repair and equipment replacement.
2. A balanced Fiscal Year 2013 budget of $765,500 was approved.
3. A request will be sent to the presbytery’s Committee on Ministry asking them to enable Pastor Day, who is currently the “installed Associate Pastor” at Faith, to become the “installed Pastor” at Faith.
4. Other miscellaneous items were approved.
April 24, 2012 session meeting
1. Executive committee will assess “Renewing Faith” status.
2. Preparation of the FY2013 budget is underway. At the end of this fiscal year, the surplus from this year’s budget will go to the “Life Cycle Replacement & Restoration Fund.”
3. Faith Community Theater donor program proposal was approved.
March 27, 2012 session meeting
1. Denominational issues workgroup has been formed.
2. Faith Foundation trustees were approved.
3. Some upcoming events were reviewed.
February 28, 2012 session meeting
1. We are moving toward a lease agreement with “Our Space,” which provides Christian school-age care.
2. A workgroup is being formed to lead the congregation in studying denominational issues.
3. The Lenten-Easter offering will go to our “Life Cycle Replacement and Restoration” fund.
January 24, 2012 session meeting
1. Upcoming plans were reviewed.
2. Pastor Buck reported on the “Fellowship of Presbyterians” conference in Orlando.
3. Presbytery “gracious separation” draft was discussed.
December 20, 2011 session meeting
1. A joint meeting with the Board of Deacons and the Session was held.
2. The annual meeting of the congregation will be Sunday, January 29.
3. The session took membership actions based on responses to a letter which had been sent previously.
November 22, 2011 session meeting
1. “Faith School of the Arts” proposal was approved.
2. “Communications Strategy” and “Building Use Policy” were approved.
3. Updates were received on developments in other areas.
October 25, 2011 session meeting
1. 2012 will mark our congregation’s 125th anniversary.
2. Some building updates are in progress.
3. Membership Committee will welcome visitors and new residents with bread.
September 13, 2011 session meeting
1. An inquiry about interest in a shared transportation venture from senior living centers to worship was received
2. Young adult ministry exploration proposal was approved.
3. Planning for the Fellowship of Presbyterians, Faith Church communications, and Christmas Eve worship were discussed.
August 23, 2011 session meeting
1. Two guests from our presbytery’s Committee on Ministry visited our meeting.
2. The purpose of the “Celebration Sunday” event was discussed.
3. Our “Renewing Faith” strategic plan was reviewed and adjusted.
July 26, 2011 session meeting
1. Faith Church ended the Jan-June 2011 transitional fiscal with a positive balance of about $38,000.
2. Sunday worship will be at 10:15 am beginning Sept 11 (the Sunday after Labor Day).
3. This fall we will have separate pledges for the “mission budget” and for the “general budget.”
June 28, 2011 session meeting
1. The session heard a presentation by two representatives of a firm specializing in commercial real estate leasing. The session discussed building use.
2. Next year will mark our congregation’s 125th anniversary.
3. Updates on events were noted.
May 24, 2011 session meeting
1. The session approved a statement in response to the denomination passing amendment 10-A.
2. The session reviewed progress on the Renewing Faith Action Plans.
3. The session approved a budget for the July 1, 2011 through June 30, 2012 fiscal year.
April 26, 2011 session meeting
1. On Sundays May 8 and May 15, the congregation will learn about Renewing Faith and will be invited to select an “Action Plan” project to be involved with.
2. Committee assignments for new elders were announced.
3. Discussion about the upcoming July 2011-June 2012 fiscal year budget was conducted.
March 22, 2011 session meeting
1. The session will meet with confirmands on April 10.
2. The session reviewed other events scheduled for April.
3. The session is continuing work on the Renewing Faith planning process.
February 23, 2011 session meeting
1. The session has selected a church consultant and scheduled the first work session with him.
2. The session elected a Clerk of Session and Corporate Officers.
3. Rev. Carlson has been called to a church in Sarasota, Florida beginning April 1, 2011.
January 18, 2011 session meeting
1. The presbytery approved the dissolution of the pastoral relationship between Pastor Carlson and Faith Church.
2. The session received updates on the Stewardship Campaign and Finances.
3. The session approved the budget for the 6-month transitional fiscal year January 1 through June 30, 2011.
December 21, 2010 session meeting
1. The Session called a special meeting of the congregation for January 9, 2011, immediately following the morning worship service, to vote on the request of the Rev. Christopher Carlson that the pastoral relationship between himself and Faith Presbyterian Church be dissolved and to vote on the terms of severance.
2. We will change to a fiscal year based on the program year, rather than the calendar year.
3. Meetings with church consultants are being scheduled.
November 30, 2010 session meeting
1. Session will consider working with a church consultant to implement and expand on the proposal from the Short and Long Range Study Committee.
2. Building and Grounds Committee is exploring multiple opportunities for improvements.
3. Preliminary stewardship report was received.
October 26, 2010 session meeting
1.The schedule of upcoming session and congregational meetings was approved.
2. Short & Long Range Planning Committee Report follow-up was planned.
3. Committee and ministry reports were received.
September 2010 session meetings
1. Don Draayer led a discussion of the Short and Long Range Planning Committee’s report.
2. John O’Keefe will lead the Fall 2010 stewardship campaign.
3. The session discussed the future direction for Faith Church and areas of emphasis for 2011.
August 24, 2010 session meeting
1. Don Draayer reported on the work of the Short and Long Range Study Committee.
2. Two separate pledge drives will be conducted this fall, one to support the 2011 “Mission” budget and the other to support the 2011 “General” budget.
3. A new plan of action is underway for the Family Ministries area.
No session meeting was held in July 2010.
June 22, 2010 session meeting
1. Roof replacement was approved; work is expected to start about August 1.
2. Session Committee assignments for 2010-2011 were reviewed.
3. Missions Committee will work toward the possibility of separating the mission budget from the general budget and having separate pledging campaigns.
May 18, 2010 session meeting
1. Rev. Tom Correll spoke about separating mission pledging from general budget pledging.
2. New outdoor sign was approved.
3. Hiring for “Student Ministries Associate” vacancy was approved.